Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Best tomato year since the Reagan administration

General Schvantzkoph said:

I'm in Massachusetts. Is everyone else having a good year also?

Weather started out pretty wet, then turned hot and very dry -- August
was disasterous. I have a theory that the wet spring and early summer
led to underdeveloped root systems, leaving the plants less able to cope
with the dramatic shift in moisture. (I wasn't able to do enough watering
to make up for the lack of rain.)

The pole beans stopped setting and dropped a ton of leaves and I lost the
last planting of sweet corn. (We had the first Labor Day without sweet corn
and pole beans in many years.)

The SunSugar and grapes tomatoes were OK; for the sauce tomatoes I
had my smallest harvest in many years, and the slicers tapered off to
almost nothing.

Zuchinnis and cucumbers never recovered from the attack of cucumber
beetles that happend in early June (while I was out of state).

Cabbage is dwarfed (wilting every day must do that to them).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored