Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The courgette glut finally hits me

On 08/09/2010 19:03, Christina Websell wrote:
Yesterday a colleague, Michelle, who has an allotment came into work with a
large bag and a desperate look on her face.

She's in a different team from me but we worked together a few months ago
and she sought me out. "Would you like a marrow, I know you'll say yes?"
I said yes please, and she seemed very grateful, another member of my team
accepted one too, so we are both going to cook stuffed marrow tomorrow, hers
will be the veggie version and mine traditional and we'll compare.
It was not a marrow as such, just a massive courgette and caused amusement
among the general public in the street when I carried it out to my car.
"Blimey - that's a big 'un" was the least ribald.

Poor Michelle went off looking for more people to have one "I don't know
what to do with them all.."
I expect she found homes for them, but it's not as easy as you might think.
It seems that a lot of people with busy work lives that can extend into the
evening do not want to cook from scratch, and I don't blame them for that.

Besides, marrow is not on the top of the list of what to eat if you've never
been taught to cook at school.
It should be essential, IMO, for all children to be taught to cook at
school.
With adventurous ingredients like a marrow ;-)
Tina

Sounds like you are in the market for some courgettes and marrows. I'll
have half a ton delivered to you tomorrow! ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.