Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Which Greenhouse?

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...
We are about to buy a greenhouse, 8x6, aluminium, horti-glass etc. We have
seen the Halls Popular range in a local garden centre, but are confused
about the plinth. Does the plinth have to go on a concrete base or can it
be positioned straight onto the ground?
Can anyone recommend any other make and/or comment on whether a plinth is
necessary.

They are not "needed" but are designed to make the getting it level and
square easier, I think they are generally set in concrete once in
position level and square

It is a long while since I had a greenhouse, but, following my
dad's advice, I put it on a brick base (about 5 courses, 2 below
soil) which increased headroom, for both me and the plants. I
moved house with it and re-installed it on a wall built from two
rows of concrete blocks - much less effort than bricks. From
Google maps, it still seems to be in place 25 years later.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.