Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Part_No Part_No is offline

Default Which Greenhouse?

"Jo" wrote in
o.uk:

We are about to buy a greenhouse, 8x6, aluminium, horti-glass etc. We
have seen the Halls Popular range in a local garden centre, but are
confused about the plinth. Does the plinth have to go on a concrete
base or can it be positioned straight onto the ground?
Can anyone recommend any other make and/or comment on whether a plinth
is necessary.

The plinth was designed to bolt/fix to metal corner stakes which are
concreted about 18"-24" deep. Then the greenhouse was fixed to the plinth
to give stability. This was only used if your greenhouse was erected on
soil. (wind can turn the greenhouse into a kite)

Apart from the extra 4"-6" of extra hight I can,t see why a plinth would be
used on a solid base.

Horticultural glass is only glass which would not be acceptable in your
window at home ie: flaws, bubbles etc.= cheaper.

If you can, go for toughened glass especially if you have young ones
playing near to the greenhouse.

Ask the prospective seller anything you are unsure about and if they are
legit. as most are, you will get what you need and not what they want to
sell you.

B&Q would be my first port of call.

Would you let us know please the final choice from wherever?

Regards
Part_No