Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default No More Heirloom Tomatoes For Me!

"gloria.p" wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
I won't be giving space to "Brandywine"
tomatoes again. Too much vine; too little tomato. What others might
do is not my concern but I would find having _no_ tomatoes in the
garden an acceptable alternative.

A Brandywine tomato is the best I have ever tasted. I have had no
luck
growing them, but that doesn't mean that heirlooms aren't delicious
with superb flavor and few seeds.

They are just very selective about conditions which is why less-fussy
hybrids have been produced.

gloria p

I have given up on brandywine tomatoes in Michigan. The season is just
too short.
I do grow heirloom tomatoes of Romas and Bonnie Best. These are smaller
tomatoes and take less time to grow and grow well in my area. But I will
continue to grow heirloom.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)