Old 10-09-2010, 06:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
lil abner lil abner is offline

Default A tomato I think????

On 9/10/2010 1:15 PM, David Carolus wrote:
I've moved into a new home and I was weeding.
While weeding I found a tomato like plant. It has little green fruits
about 1 inch across all over it.
It is not too tall about 12' i think. It smells like a tomato. but I'm
not sure I've never seen a tomato quite like this one It is a singel
stalk with leaves and fruits taht grow off of that. Could it be
another member of the night shade family? It's not a tomotillo because
there are no papery skins around the small green fruits. Any help
would be apreciated. Oh yes the fruits are perfectly round .
Thanks New to IL. So i'm not aquainted with all of the native plants
yet. Never seen these plants in PA.
Sincerely
Michelle

It could be tomatoes or tommy toes.
However if the fruit turns yellow don't eat them they are poison.
I can't think of their name right now.
When I was small we had tommy toes come up every year probably from full
size tomatoes of the last year. They appeared in places though that I
sometimes thought they were wild tomatoes. Sometimes the yellow things
would show up. They didn't tase like the cherry tomatoes we see now.
The tommy toes don't get too large neither do the yellow things.