Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default two articles

In article ,
wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

songbird wrote:
from the Scientific American special edition
titled _The End_

p. 23 acid rain returns from nitrogen emissions
coal fired power plants, cars and then farming
listed.

p. 72 bunker fuel (never heard of it before)
burned by tankers at sea. if the international
shipping industry were considered a country
it would rank sixth behind Japan and in front
of Germany in terms of green house gas emissions.

songbird

Bunker fuel is a very thick low grade of petroleum used in very large
engines such as ships have. When spilled at sea it forms tar balls. When
burned it makes CO2 etc the same as burning other petroleum. It may also
have a fair amount of sulphur which is a pollutant when burned.

I suppose they have to list shipping separately otherwise the countries that
host flags of convenience would get dudded.

David

Great Godalmighty. Silly me: I thought this to be a newsgroup in which one
could exchange gardening information and anecotes. Wrong! NOTHING has changed
in
the newsgroup since I tried reading it years ago. This is not a gardening
newsgroup. It is a social and political propaganda newsgroup. With a few
notable
exceptions, it is inhabited by pretentious carping know-nothing fools who'd
return us to using rocks and sticks to "save" the planet. Now, here's one who
actually cites "Scientific American" as a reliable source. Regrettably, some
of
the gardeners also provide an "amen corner" for the twits.

And your problem is . . . ?
One would return to, what, sailing ships because steam-powered vessels burn
"bunker" grade oil? Bunker oil is any low-grade refined oil that is stored
("bunkered") for later use; period. Odds are good the juice powering True
Believer OP's computer comes from the burning of bunker oil and I daresay
that,
if the powerhouse shut down to protect OP's sensibilities, (s)he would be in
the
streets with a pitchfork along with myriad other loonies protesting the evil
corporation that's letting babies die. Likewise with shipping: I can already
hear the douche blaming those evil shipping tyrants for creating shortages
and
driving up prices. Some people simply try to think too much while lacking the
basic resources with which to do so. The _real_ tragedy, as I see it, is that
the nitwits can vote. What a world.

What are you talking about? Are you denying that shipping food long
distances costs fossil fuel, and freshness (nutrition)? And why
shouldn't we shift to renewable energy sources? (Fossil fuel is killing
the planet.) Why is protesting corporations unique status as individuals
in the U.S. wrong? Corporations only exist to make profits. Real human
beings are trying to raise children and care for aging parents.
Railroads drove up prices in the U.S. (the octopus it was called), but
who brought up that subject? Thinking, reasoning is a problem? You don't
believe in democracy? Maybe a poll tax would make you feel better. Who
decides, who should vote, so that we can keep out the nitwits? I'm not
so sure that you aren't a nitwit. Should that cost you your right to
vote? You should be grateful that it is such a world.

I'm back to gardening, which I greatly prefer to reading drivel from
pretenders who mistake the reading of magazines and the parroting of
hyperbolic
hysteria for gardening. Newsflash: Kitchen gardeners and, most especially,
market gardeners of my acquaintance don't have time for such crap. They're
too
busy gardening. They have their fingers in the Earth, not in some slick mass
entertainment "scientific" magazine.

Go to it. If you want to see my garden, all you have to do is go to
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

It's that blessed "unsubscribe" button for me!

Is it just me, or do you smell the oder of burning martyr? All this self
pity after calling David a marshmallow head, and myself an ignorant twit?
My word, but you have very thin skin for one who tosses invectives about
so easily.

At least I gave authorities (citations) for my opinions. I see that you
give none. How do we know that what you say, isn't just pulled out of
your backside? Out of curiosity, how do you hold yourself in higher
regard than Scientific American? In what do you have a degree? What
attests to your expertise? Why should we trust your vulgar opinions?

Lordy, I always regret purging the twit list, which means, in your case,
I won't. Say more stoopid things, and I'll be there, oh yeah.

I was within a whisker of KFing you, but you changed my mind,
congratulations ;O)

The group is about gardening + food. Capisce?

You don't, do you? See you in the funny papers.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude