Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Saving tomato seeds

On 10 Sep, 22:56, Derek Turner wrote:
I've grown thee tomato plants in a gro-bag away from other varieties in
order to save the (increasingly rare) strain as pure as possible.

Any tips on harvesting and saving the seeds, please? Specifically how to
dry them without them all sticking together?

tia

Dear Derek,
Place the scooped out seeds in a short drinking glass
and add a little water if there was not much juice with the seed.Place
on a warm window cill for about 3 days(no longer)until the sugar in
the tomato starts fermenting,as seen from bubbles beginning to appear
in the juice-this beginning of fermentation cleans the seed
nicely.Wash the seed and spread out on to a plate (do not use
paper).In about a week the seed will be dry and you can put it in an
envelope-and label! I do this every year and the seed keeps for
years.I do not think you need to worry about cross fertilisation with
tomato plants.What variety are you keen to save?
Best regards
Michael