Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default Tomatoes ripening in blotches

On 11 Sep, 19:58, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Went down the greenhouse today to pick the toms. First few I went for
were very red and slightly soft on top, lifted gently and off the stalk
they came, BUT when turned over the bottoms were blotchy
green/red/yellowish.

Some of the others were blotchy on top and fine underneath.

Any ides of the cause? I know I've had erratic watering from a neighbour
whilst I was away so there are a few with blossom end rot. Could this be
the reason?

Hoping they will ripen evenly when left on the windowsill.

Roger T

Is it too much heat? Something I have no experience of, living in the
far north of Scotland, but too much direct sunlight can cause blotchy
ripening - are they in a greenhouse and is it perhaps not shaded?