Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Onions: Homegrown v Shop

Gordon H wrote:
I only grew onions once, decided that the amount of work/care involved
wasn't worth it when I can buy them as and when I need them.
The ones I grew may have been slightly stronger tasting, but not
significantly so.

We planted a huge amoiunt of onions this year as we lost a lot last year to
white rot. We got a good crop, and they took relatively little care -
didn't need to water them, took one basic digging over and weeding before
planting, and 2 lots of emergency weeding during the growing season (when we
suddenly realised we could no longer see the onions!). Pretty easy crop
imho.