Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Fancy a cruise? (nicked from elsewhere)

On 11 Sep, 17:04, Gordon H
wrote:
In message , MuddyMike
writes

This actually occurred in 2008 in the Pacific. *It's quite a large
ocean, with not a lot of places to run to when the frequent, sudden
storms show up. *The cruise ship involved was actually heading for a
port, but didn't quite make it, and was in the process of turning into
the waves, which had changed direction, when it broached, resulting in
the incidents in the video. *It was actually quite big news in
Australia at the time, as it is an Australian-registered ship/company,
and was in the news again this week when the CCTV footage here was
released. *There were no major injuries.

More information at
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...Sun_Report.pdf

Mike

That explains a few things, I wondered why the ship wasn't turned to
head into the wind, although the area exposed to the wind on those tall
cruise liners doesn't make it easy.

On a smaller scale (!) we had holidays on the Thames, and the "plastic"
boats were awkward to handle on a very windy day, compared with the
heavy timber one we had on the first holiday.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply- Hide quoted text -

I once hired a fishing-boat-converted-to-tourist-accommodation in the
Galapagos islands for a week. That was a violent experience. The
waves seemed to come from all directions. We had lots of escapades
including a fire on board and the engine breakng down.