Old 13-09-2010, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
runnerduane runnerduane is offline

Default Preparing a lawn for Autumn Winter

On Sep 13, 7:07*am, floss2205
wrote:
Can anyone help? I have spent a lot of time this spring and summer
bringing my lawn back to life after a year of abuse (we had an extension
built and the builders used our back lawn as a dumping ground)but I am
concerned about the harsher weather in Winter.
Does anyone have any good ideas of the things that I can be doing to
prepare my garden for the winter months to ensure that I still get lush
green grass back in Spring 2011?

--
floss2205

Aerification is definitely a good start, but don't stop there. Late
Fall is the best time of year to apply a Herbicide because the plant
is storing energy for the Winter so it will absorb the chemical
better. You should wait until the grass is dormant and apply a fast
release fertilizer like Urea 46-0-0. In Michigan, usually the best
time is somewhere around Thanksgiving or just before the first big
snow storm. What this will do, because the grass is dormant it will
not promote shoot growth (the grass will not get taller), but it will
increase the root growth. Any time that you can increase the root
grown you can improve your lawn's health.