Old 13-09-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Oppressive garden

"sweetheart" wrote
Sorry to barge in posting but I need some advice.
I have a large garden with some large trees and tons of hedges - mostly
hazel.

I would like to cut the lot down . If I did , will it all come back?

Do you want it to grow back? I'm unsure what you actually want.
If you "prune" it hard mature trees and shrubs usually do grow again, there
are exceptions and those that simply give up but as a rule they do survive
to grow/flower again.

How can I get rid of the rubbish. The garden is becoming one bug weed and
rubbish patch already with stuff to burn.

Hire/buy a good shredder, this will reduce drastically the bulk of the waste
and the shredding can be used as a mulch to suppress weeds and conserve
moisture or composted to make a good soil improver.

I have an apple tree, looks about 30 years old and must be 20 ft high. It
flowered profusely but I haven't has a single apple. Can I chop this back
or should I just have someone take a chain saw to it?

It can be dramatically reduced in size but it's a job for someone with
knowledge of such pruning if you are not to permanently damage the tree. Do
you know if it's a tip bearer for example?

I also have a ceanothus ( sp)? Can I cut this back and will it start
again. It seems half dead, probably from the icy winter we had.

Then there is one more bush/ tree. I am not sure what it is but I think
it is a verbena, It flowers before it puts on leaves and the flowers come
sometime early spring . Little pink clusters. It also looks a bit dead.
Its 15 ft high. Could I cut it back or do I have to loose it and start
again?

I once pruned a very large and overgrown Vibernum with a chainsaw, I cut it
down to a single stump about 2ft tall, it grew back into a beautiful bush
after a few years.

Finally I have another bush which has white flowers in summer. Someone
told me it was a mock orange. The leaves are umbel and it smells like
cats pee to me. Again its leggy and dead in the middle. How much can I
take off and it will still live?

I think you can also be quite drastic with Philodelphus.

One more. not on plants. I need a good heavy duty electric strimmer . I
cannot handle a petrol one. I have seen a Flymo 600 HD. Has anyone used
one of these - are they any good?

Before you buy an electric one do try a small petrol strimmer, you may find
it no heavier than a heavy duty electric one and it will be much better at
the job. If it's weight on your arms you are concerned about then get a
shoulder strap.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden