Old 14-09-2010, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Borlottie beans

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote...
What's the best way to dry these for use over winter? On the plant or
take off, shell and lay out?
TIA

What we have done is let them dry as much as possible on the plant, but
before the pods start to open up and shed the beans you need to pick them.
We then podded them and put them in a cloth sack (old coin bag) which we
hung in our garage for the beans to dry, occasional stirring helps. We have
used this for Borlotti, Red Kidney, and Haricots. (as well as saved seed)
Once dry they can be put away but keep them in the sack or paper bag as
putting them into a sealed container could cause condensation and rot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden