Old 14-09-2010, 10:08 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"sweetheart" wrote
Sorry to barge in posting but I need some advice.
I have a large garden with some large trees and tons of hedges - mostly
hazel.

I would like to cut the lot down . If I did , will it all come back?

Do you want it to grow back? I'm unsure what you actually want.
If you "prune" it hard mature trees and shrubs usually do grow again, there
are exceptions and those that simply give up but as a rule they do survive
to grow/flower again.

Finally I have another bush which has white flowers in summer. Someone
told me it was a mock orange. The leaves are umbel and it smells like
cats pee to me. Again its leggy and dead in the middle. How much can I
take off and it will still live?

I think you can also be quite drastic with Philodelphus.
Except that "the leaves are umbel" doesn't sound like philadelphus (mock orange) and while I can understand someone not liking the almost overpowering scent, I think it would be hard to detect cat's pee elements in it.

Could it be Choisya (Mexican orange blossom)?