Old 14-09-2010, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:

... If you want to poison yourself
with carbohydrates, that's your business.

It is an exageration that diabetes is caused directly by sugar and
other high carb foods.

No, it is the insulin peaks in the blood caused by the historically
large amounts of carbohydrates that we presently consume, especially
highly refined carbs (white flour, white rice, sucrose). The insulin
controls metabolization of sugar, and fat storage, which in turn may
lead to obesity, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and insulin
resistant type 2 diabetes. "May lead" because if you do a lot of
physical work, you will probably be protected from the worst effects of
insulin.

It is not an exageration that when a tribe that
traditionally ate a low carb or slow carb diet is put on the high carb
or fast carb western diet more than 80% develop diabetes. The causation
is slow, somewhat indirect, and has a genetic component in societies
that have had a lot of generations to filter out that tendency to
diabetes. In other words my version is - High carb foods are only
poison if you or anyone in your family has ever been fat or diabetic.

what does your brain consume? last i
knew it needed carbohydrates to function...

It is widely stated that the brian needs glucose and thus dietary
carbs to function. Widely stated does not equal true.

Consider that even on an extended fast the blood sugar level does not
fall towards zero. It remains stable for any non-diabetic. Fat and/or
protein are burned and glucose is created in the process even with no
diet of any sort. Add protein and fat as the diet, Inuit style complete
with considering raw seal eyes a delicacy, and the blood glucose level
remains stable.

That's in addition to the fact that the brain runs just fine on ketones
from burning fat.

I conclude that gardeners should go veggies and fruits not grains.
Leave the grains to the ranchers and large scale farmers. Come to think
of it I never have grown my own barley. ;^)

--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude