Old 14-09-2010, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oppressive garden

In message , kay
writes

Bob Hobden;900249 Wrote:
"sweetheart" wrote-
Sorry to barge in posting but I need some advice.
I have a large garden with some large trees and tons of hedges - mostly

hazel.

I would like to cut the lot down . If I did , will it all come back?-

Do you want it to grow back? I'm unsure what you actually want.
If you "prune" it hard mature trees and shrubs usually do grow again,
there
are exceptions and those that simply give up but as a rule they do
survive
to grow/flower again.

-
Finally I have another bush which has white flowers in summer. Someone

told me it was a mock orange. The leaves are umbel and it smells like

cats pee to me. Again its leggy and dead in the middle. How much can I

take off and it will still live?-

I think you can also be quite drastic with Philodelphus.

Except that "the leaves are umbel" doesn't sound like philadelphus (mock
orange) and while I can understand someone not liking the almost
overpowering scent, I think it would be hard to detect cat's pee
elements in it.

But what does "the leaves are umbel" mean?

Could it be Choisya (Mexican orange blossom)?

I take that you translated it to palmate.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley