Old 15-09-2010, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default What variety of squirrel populates Berkeley, CA?

In article ,
says...

I deduced that the live trap isn't big enough. This is a BIG squirrel. I
saw it again today and I think the nose to end of tail it's about 20-22
inches. The tail keeps the gate from closing on the trap and it somehow
got out, either turning around inside or lifting its tail and backing
out. I thought of returning the trap and ordering a bigger one but
instead I modified the trap today, adding 10" to the length with some
wire mesh I had lying around. I have it set now, and think this time I'm
likely to get the bugger. I'm going to let it out several miles from my
house.

Our raccoon sized havahart trap catches squirrels quite well and they
can't reach the bait from the sides or above.

If I want to trap anything I will usually leave a little bait inside the
door and some just over the the trigger pad.

of course the trap kinda works like a squirrel acceleration chamber but
you make do with what you have.