Old 15-09-2010, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Oppressive garden

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I would like to cut the lot down . If I did , will it all come back?

Do you want it to grow back? I'm unsure what you actually want.
If you "prune" it hard mature trees and shrubs usually do grow again,
there are exceptions and those that simply give up but as a rule they do
survive to grow/flower again.

Well, put it this way, I would prefer some plants but if they do die I wont
be gutted. I will be miffed because I may have to do extra work digging
them out.

How can I get rid of the rubbish. The garden is becoming one bug weed and
rubbish patch already with stuff to burn.

Hire/buy a good shredder, this will reduce drastically the bulk of the
waste and the shredding can be used as a mulch to suppress weeds and
conserve moisture or composted to make a good soil improver.

I have a shredder. I have never sued it though. I have had it four years
now, still boxed.
Do the stems have to be dry to but them through. or can I cut and shed
almost immediately?
Sorry to ask but once I unbox this thing I have to find somewhere else to
store it as where it is , its parcelled in well.

I have an apple tree, looks about 30 years old and must be 20 ft high.
It flowered profusely but I haven't has a single apple. Can I chop this
back or should I just have someone take a chain saw to it?

It can be dramatically reduced in size but it's a job for someone with
knowledge of such pruning if you are not to permanently damage the tree.
Do you know if it's a tip bearer for example?

I dont even have a clue what sort it is. I know the apples are sourish and
I have used them last year as cooking apples. They are red/ green and small
( just like all apples really ;-))
But since it flowered profusely this year but didnt give up a single apple,
I think it needs something doing. I would be sorry to loose it, as its a
nice feature where it is.

One more. not on plants. I need a good heavy duty electric strimmer . I
cannot handle a petrol one. I have seen a Flymo 600 HD. Has anyone used
one of these - are they any good?

Before you buy an electric one do try a small petrol strimmer, you may
find it no heavier than a heavy duty electric one and it will be much
better at the job. If it's weight on your arms you are concerned about
then get a shoulder strap.

I have got a petrol strimmer - a stihl . Its too heavy, the petrol is messy.
It vibrates too much for me and frankly its big and I dont like engines on
ends.

Besides it has to be filled. At least electric is plug and go. I did have
an old flymo strimmer but it faded away this year ( shaft broke). It used
a heavy duty blue string and tended to do the job reasonably .
There doesnt seem to be an equivelent to replace it with in the stores.
Hence the HD which I saw on Amazon.