Old 15-09-2010, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Borlottie beans

"Sacha" wrote ...
"Christina Websell" said:
snip

I never grow anything that I can buy more cheaply. It's a waste of my
land.

In a fairly brief period when my family had a veg patch going, that was
our philosophy. There didn't seem much point in growing very standard veg
if you could buy it cheaply and without the tiresome effort. OTOH, this
was well before the current interest in organic food and/or what is put
onto food before we buy and eat it.

I think your last comment is relevant these days, few people now grow to
save money indeed our allotments are so expensive nobody around here could
save money by growing their own (£100+ per annum for 10 rods) especially
when one considers the other costs involved, manure, fertilizer, lime, seed,
tools, travel, .....
If we went along with the cheaper theory we would hardly grow anything,
certainly not potatoes, but we like fresh veg and the varieties we like and
which don't appear in the shops, we also like to know what's in and on our
veg, so to get that we have to grow our own.
This also ignores the fun element, why not grow Borlotti Beans or anything
else just to learn. Most of us here have grown stuff just to see what
happens, so why not veg too.
A Savoy would be a wonderful addition to a flower border. :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden