Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default newbie with plants

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:44:31 -0500, Bigs
wrote:
light like a fluorescent fixture. The bulb I have is an energy save bulb. It
takes 7 watts of power but emits light like a 30 watt fluorescent light.

NO. It emits as much light as a "30 watt incandescent".

That's the way ALL of those screw-in fluorescents are labelled, since
people are replacing incandescents with them.

This is
why we cannot compare them to fluorescent tubes. I think the biggest they have
in those energy savers is a 25 watt bulb, but it emits like a 100 watt bulb.

Yes, it uses 25 watts of energy, and puts out the same amount of light
as a 100w incandescent.

also have a 14 watt and it's WAY too bright, my fish hide because it's too
bright.

It looks too bright because you've probably not seen a true "high
light tank".

And the fish might hide at first, but they'll quickly get use to the
light levels. And for fish that like it a little dimmer, they can
hide in the plants.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua