Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default newbie with plants

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 14:51:24 -0500, Bigs
wrote:
Just to prove my point. I will take a pic of my setup and you decide what emits
more light. I understand they compare to incandescent lighting, my point is that
my 14 watt emits more light than a 14 watt fluorescent tube. Big time.
I have a 3' 25 watt in my office and it doesn't emit as much light as my 14 watt.

Yes, it probably does, but the 3' 25w light is spread out over 3 feet,
so it doesn't look as intense as the screw-in fluorescent.

Spread out the twisted screw-in, and it will be putting out the same
as any other 14w fluorecent tube.

It only looks brighter because the light is condensed.

In fact, a good bit of the light in the twisted up screw-in bulb is
being wasted, since it just hits another bent part of the tube, and
never reaches the tank. So it's probably a little less efficient
than it would be if it were a straight tube.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense to you, but these bulbs have been on
the market a long long time, and they've been tested repeatedly by
many people on this and other plant lists.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua