Old 16-09-2010, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default magnolia problems

On 9/15/2010 5:19 PM, flowerdale wrote:
snip...
I have read that
the specimen is evergreen and also deciduous. Many thanks in advance for
any advise, thanks.

Evergreen or deciduous depends on what sort of magnolia you have. Magnolia
grandiflora http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_grandiflora is evergreen
where it is hardy and has leaves which are waxy and so stiff that they
rattle in the wind -- almost like they were made of plastic.

In my experience they are close to unkillable and I can't imagine any beast
eating on it. I have the remains of a huge specimen in my yard which I
forced to cut down five years ago. Despite having the stump ground and all
major roots dug out I'm still forced to hack away at and spray the new
growth which comes up several times every year.