Old 16-09-2010, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Plant labels that don't biodegrade

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Chris" wrote
I've still got some plant labels, about eight inches long, that I
bought roughly forty years ago - and they are still fine.

I need some more.

The ones I bought from the local garden centre fell to bits after a
year. Any idea where to get some decent labels?

What exactly do you mean Chris?
Something like this? ...

http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...sfile=1&jump=8

We use the 12 inch ones out on our allotment and they survive OK for
years (unless I tread on them!), we use a Brother Label Maker
(electronic Dymo type tape) to make the names to stick onto the
labels and they also last years.

I don't know where to get the copper ones I once had as a handout from the
RHS, but aluminium drink cans cut with ordinary scissors would presumably
give similar service. Aluminium deodorant sprays are a bit stouter: when
it's /empty/, stick an awl in to equalize the slight pressure-difference
before cutting (wrap in a cloth if uncomfortable about this, but I see no
need). Need to smooth off the edges, of course.

--
Mike.

I have been making plant labels from Al drink cans for years, and would not
bother with any other way. I sent the method to Gardener's Question Time,
and they read it out, but I think they are still addicted to inferior bought
labels.

I keep a supply of the handy Al sheet one gets if you cut the top and bottom
from ordinary Al drinks cans (just cut the cylindrical section at the two
shoulders with scissors). The cylinder you then cut down one side and open
out and pull it under a ruler of other straight edge to reverse the curve
and create a sheet. You then write your plant info with an empty biro:
these have tungsten balls and score the Al very nicely - use a piece of
cardboard under the metal to give the writing some depth.

Cut out your written label from the sheet and make a small hole with the
point of the scissors or a nail etc, to take a piece of wire to tie it on
with. The label will generally last longer than the plant.