Old 16-09-2010, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Plant labels that don't biodegrade

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Chris" wrote
I've still got some plant labels, about eight inches long, that I
bought roughly forty years ago - and they are still fine.
I need some more.
The ones I bought from the local garden centre fell to bits after a
year. Any idea where to get some decent labels?

What exactly do you mean Chris?
Something like this? ...
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...ABW&name=label
s&sfile=1&jump=8
We use the 12 inch ones out on our allotment and they survive OK for
years (unless I tread on them!), we use a Brother Label Maker
(electronic Dymo type tape) to make the names to stick onto the
labels and they also last years.

I don't know where to get the copper ones I once had as a handout from
the RHS, but aluminium drink cans cut with ordinary scissors would
presumably give similar service. Aluminium deodorant sprays are a bit
stouter: when it's /empty/, stick an awl in to equalize the slight
pressure-difference before cutting (wrap in a cloth if uncomfortable
about this, but I see no need). Need to smooth off the edges, of course.

I actually meant plain white plastic sticks that you can write on with a
pencil.

That won't last very long at all: not only does the writing soon wear off,
but the plastic goes very brittle in the sun and soon shatters into pieces.

Thanks for the link, Bob.
--
Chris