Old 16-09-2010, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Why aren't tomatoes indigenous to the UK?

In my back garden the 'soldiers' grown from last year's fallen tomatoes are
starting to ripen fruit.

From this I presume that they in turn could drop fruit to provide seed for
next year.

So what is there to stop tomatoes becoming naturalised in the UK?
I assume that the current climate is conducive to outdoor tomatoes and the
last winter was certainly pretty harsh.

Although I haven't seen tomatoes growing as weeds in mediteranean areas.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder