Old 17-09-2010, 01:29 AM
notch notch is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Notch, I think what you describing is a plant that grows like a weed down here in Cornwall, often called Himalayan honeysuckle, its latin name is Leycesteria formosa. The birds love the seeds this time of year and they grow very readily from these seeds.
Hope that helps, Lannerman
Thank you lannerman you were spot on when I checked the image in wickipedia. So us calling it our nutmeg tree was not so far wrong. It grew in our clay/gravelsoil in Reading for twenty years but when we transferred some to our caravan in Hurley Thames Valley it did not like the damp soil. Not like Himalayan stream sides I suppose. We now have it growing in dry sandy soil in our tiny Midland garden on the edge of an old railway nature reserve trail and it thrives despite a lot of cold north winds.Regards.