Old 17-09-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Timothy Murphy Timothy Murphy is offline

Default How to get a small tree out of a container?

Jeff Layman wrote:

I just bought quite a large (2.5 metres tall)
Magnolia Grandiflora very cheaply (12.50 euro = £10)

and am wondering how to get it out of its large plastic container?

Water it well first, then put it on its side and whack the container all
round to loosen the pot from the compost. Then (as Sacha suggests) hold
it by its stem and tap the pot rim all round. If this does not work,
then just cut the container away. You won't regret your purchase -
there's nothing quite like Magnolia grandiflora in flower.

Thanks to both of you for your advice.
That is what I would always do with a smaller pot;
I was just a bit doubtful as this one is so heavy.

I've always had a slight worry - even with a smaller pot -
that all the soil would fall away from the roots,
or even that the roots would break.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net