Old 18-09-2010, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default A new one on me: ants farming aphids below ground.

In article , ask@itshall
says...
"phorbin" wrote in message
My wife pulled up the Bhringraj(eclipta alba) this morning and we found
one ant clinging to the plant just above the soil and aphids attached to
the roots.

This is a new one on me but once I got thinking about it, it seems
pretty logical that this would be quite common.

Live and learn.

The next thing is to id just what kind of aphid.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phorbin/4998231621/

Well that was an interesting pic. Every Spring I get aphids on my roses but
within a week they all disappear. I have tiny superb little birds who
patrol the garden and get rid of the lot. This is the boy of the species of
birdie:
http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=e...ed=0CCcQsAQwAA

I bet they're a pleasure to watch.

I've never seen birds working over the roses etc. for aphids, here. The
aphids vanish.