Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Rich Conley

Default Removing UGF for planted tank?

I read an article that said that UG filters could be great for a planted tank,
so long as you plant heavily, and dont disturb the gravel too much. This way you
get a solid root network, so water flow is evenly restricted...IE no dead spots.
If you disturb the gravel you get hi-flow areas, and thus dead area s in other
spots

Rich

kush wrote:

I'm one of those people who don't think you need to remove your UGF to have
a successful planted aquarium. I have UGF's in most of my tanks except the
very smallest. There are some special challenges, though, for example you
can't use iron/fertilizer tabs/spikes.

However, if you're not going to use it, remove it. If you're not pulling
water through it, the crud WILL build up.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Tasslehoff wrote in message
Okay I'm switching my 3' 150L(36G) community tank to a planted community
tank and was thinking about shutting down my UGF. I've also an Eheim 2213
running on it and was wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the

UGF
plate and lift tubes or simply turn it off and leave it as it is. I don't
expect there to be much crud below it as compared to what I think is below
my 60L platy breeder tank. I've had it set up for a year but whenever I
vaccuum the gravel, there's hardly any muck compared to my smaller tank.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I've 2 3yr angels, a 1.5yr moss barb, 2 1.5yr neon tetras, 3 1yr runnynose
tetras, 2 3yr albino corys and 4 platys in it.