Old 18-09-2010, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Why aren't tomatoes indigenous to the UK?

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:20:43 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

In my back garden the 'soldiers' grown from last year's fallen tomatoes are
starting to ripen fruit.

From this I presume that they in turn could drop fruit to provide seed for
next year.

So what is there to stop tomatoes becoming naturalised in the UK?
I assume that the current climate is conducive to outdoor tomatoes and the
last winter was certainly pretty harsh.

The weather mainly.

Had seedling tomatoes appear in the greenhouse on the allotment last
year that I hadn't planted so I'd assumed they'd grown from some old
tomatoes that had rotted before I got the plot.

Although I haven't seen tomatoes growing as weeds in mediteranean areas.

Cheers

Dave R

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com