Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Wynand

Default newbie with plants

i have two java fern
and one amazon sword
what is wrong started yesterday some leaves have brown spots one it is it a
fertilizer shortage
and i have a white or small wurm in my tank pet owners says hamerless but
too the plants, also harmles?
thx
"Ed" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:18:01 +0200, "Wynand" wrote:

what do i need except co2 yeast bottle
to plant plants in 10 gal tank plus how much plants
much i plant
thx

Is it just me? Over the years I have found that I don't need 4 watts
per gal, lots of CO2 or lots of nutrients.

I've gone that route 6 or 7 times now and all I got was HIGH
maintenance and very expensive tanks. I was either constantly
battling algea or nutrient levels and always pruning and picking out
lots of dying plants.

I have since reduced the watts per gallon to approx 2 watts/g and soon
realised that I was trying to overdrive my plants. That ain't
natural. Unless we're all in a competition for fastest growning
plants. After an initial "slow down" (due to the reduction in light)
my plants are back to normal and growing happily.

Currently I have a 10 gallon with an 18watt JBJ fixture, DYI CO2
injected into a Duetto DJ-50 and a 50/50 Flourite substrate and I have
been able to grow almost anything in there that I want to. I do tend
toward medium to lower light plants (for maintenance purposes). But I
do have some high light plants in there as well and they are doing
just fine. I also keep a very low fish load. Currently only one
Betta. But have had up to a dozen + Cardinals with a couple of
Cories and a dozen or so shrimp in there.

The water here in Los Angeles is pretty hard so I think that helps a
bit.

I add KNO3, KCL, TMG one/twice a week and Potassium Phosphate once
every 2 - 3 weeks.

Sure I ain't pruning my 10 every other day but I also have 5 other
planted tanks to mind. : )

Start with the lower wattage and work your way up PATIENTLY. I think
you'll avoid many a pitfall if you do.

YMMV

Ed