Old 18-09-2010, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default I'm sorry but food is a political issue

On 9/18/2010 11:49 AM, Dan L wrote:
Frank wrote:
Also the "high fructose corn syrup" to be renamed "Corn Sugar".
http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...rn-syrup_N.htm

Sounds much nicer

It would be a misnomer as corn sugar is glucose.
High fructose corn syrup is something else but is functionally
identical to sucrose when put in the high acid environment of sodas.
Food police should bitch about something real.

Please explain this matter of "functionally identical". How does the
high acid environment bring this about?

David

Think I covered this. The acid inverts the sucrose to the same
mixture of glucose and fructose. They should taste the same and have
the same nutritional value and effect on blood sugar. That's why I
don't think there should be such a big fuss about high fructose corn
syrup.

hmmm... Sounds like your not sure about the presupposition "acid inverts
the sucrose" does this inversion occur instantly? Is this inversion
100 percent? Soda pop does tastes different with cane sugar than HFC's.
Sounds like your not sure "SHOULD tastes the same"? Were your lab
results the same as used in the soda pop industry? Same kinds of acids?
Same temps?

Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

I'm not researching this: just speculation from what I know about sugar
chemistry. My actual lab experience was 50 years ago. I'd guess complete
inversion but I'll leave it to those interested to google. I don't
drink sodas, not even artificially sweetened ones. All that sugar is
not good for you and why pay big bucks for flavored water?