Old 18-09-2010, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wintering Geraniums

In message
,
"hr(bob) " writes
We live in the Chicago suburbs. Last winter I put all our hanging
baskets of geraniums in a barely warm garage, anywhere from 35 degrees
up to 55 degrees. They survived and have bloomed vigorously all this
summer hanging along the sides of our deck. But, the plants have
become leggy and I need to do something with them. Never had
geraniums before so my wife and I don't know what we should be doing
for this upcoming winter.

Help please.

I take it that you mean Pelargoniums. (The true Geraniums mostly die
back to the ground over winter.) These are fairly readily propagated by
cuttings. The treatment of Pelargonium cutting is a little unusual; they
are rooted under relatively dry conditions. If you browse the web (or
the gardening section of the public library) you should find
instructions for propagating Pelargoniums from cuttings.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley