Old 19-09-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wintering Geraniums

On Sep 18, 4:57*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
"hr(bob) " writes

We live in the Chicago suburbs. *Last winter I put all our hanging
baskets of geraniums in a barely warm garage, anywhere from 35 degrees
up to 55 degrees. *They survived and have bloomed vigorously all this
summer hanging along the sides of our deck. *But, the plants have
become leggy and I need to do something with them. *Never had
geraniums before so my wife and I don't know what we should be doing
for this upcoming winter.

Help please.

I take it that you mean Pelargoniums. (The true Geraniums mostly die
back to the ground over winter.) These are fairly readily propagated by
cuttings. The treatment of Pelargonium cutting is a little unusual; they
are rooted under relatively dry conditions. If you browse the web (or
the gardening section of the public library) you should find
instructions for propagating Pelargoniums from cuttings.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I was hoping someone here could give me a quicker response than going
to my local library, expecially since this is a gardening group.