Old 18-09-2010, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Hedge - Mixing Hornbeam and Dogwood

"mountain_spring" wrote in
message ...

Hello,
On my property I have plenty of hornbeam and dogwood transplants as well
as some oak, dog rose and some other native plants.

I would like to plant a 50 meters long hedge and I would like it to be
about 1.5-2 meters high in 2-4 years.

I would like it to be informal, natural looking hedge that I would trim
once or mostly twice per year.

Would it work if I mix hornbeam with dogwood and other plants, or should
I use hornbeam only since I have it most?
Should I plant in one or two rows, and how many plants per meter?

Thanks a lot,
Mountain

As I understand it, hornbeam is relatively slow growing, giving a
particularly heavy wood for fuel purposes. Dogwood is fast growing and
suckers horrendously. Of course, a lot depends on your soil, but I would
accompany your hornbeam with hazel, hawthorn and blackthorn - almost
anything but dogwood I would say... (But I'm not a butterfly, so perhaps
one or two.)