Old 19-09-2010, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree rescue help please?

On 9/18/10 6:44 PM, Dave_s wrote:
My 30 year old Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree is growing in the ground.
This year it contains at least 10 dark green golf ball size lemons that
refuse to turn yellow, remain dark green and rock hard. These tiny
lemons appeared early summer, and very slowly became golf ball size.
Trouble is, that these lemons remain same size. Only two show a tiny
yellowing section (10%) and are still dark green and hard as a rock.

The leaves also do not look green and healthy as they have in the past.
Now leaves are not bright green, but green with many alternating yellow
spots from tip and along edges to the back.

I may have not deep watered often enough, roughly did water every three
weeks. Have been infrequently feeding with Scotts Citrus food.

Want to help this tree ripen those ten stagnated lemons.

Question is what can I do to revive this Meyer Lemon?

Another 24 hour deep watering?

Apply commercial Citrus dry plant food?

Apply 0-10-10 to stimulate fruiting?

Apply steer manure?

Sure need some suggestions. I can supply pictures if needed.
Thank you, Dave_s

Patchy yellowing of the leaves often indicates a zinc deficiency. All
citrus require more zinc than most plants. They also require an acid
soil.

First of all, check the fertilizer you have already been using. Does it
contain zinc? If not, see if you can get zinc sulfate; apply about 1/4
cup from about 1 ft from the trunk to the edge of the drip zone.

Get an accurate pH test of the soil in the tree's root zone. If the pH
is greater than 6.0, broadcast soil sulfur in the same area that I
suggest for the zinc.

Finally, dwarf citrus is not as long-lived as standard citrus. Your
tree might be dying of old age.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean