Old 19-09-2010, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Wintering Geraniums

On 9/18/2010 4:49 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Sep 18, 12:31 pm, wrote:
On 9/18/2010 12:22 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

We live in the Chicago suburbs. Last winter I put all our hanging
baskets of geraniums in a barely warm garage, anywhere from 35 degrees
up to 55 degrees. They survived and have bloomed vigorously all this
summer hanging along the sides of our deck. But, the plants have
become leggy and I need to do something with them. Never had
geraniums before so my wife and I don't know what we should be doing
for this upcoming winter.

Help please.

I'm no expert but wife has been putting a couple to winter in our
utility room and I looked on-line and believe you can cut back one to
two thirds. I did this early in the year and rooted several cuttings
and got several new plants. Put some in pots and some in the ground and
just plan to leave them out to die, whatever, and clone new ones in
February from what she brings in.

How did you go about rooting the cuttings?

Bob H

Rooting hormone and peat pots with potting soil kept damp.
Only did about half dozen but they all took.
Advice came from googling. There is lots of stuff out there.