Old 19-09-2010, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Hedge - Mixing Hornbeam and Dogwood

On 19 Sep, 10:32, bobharvey wrote:
On 19 Sep, 09:16, harry wrote:

You need a double row @ 450mm centres. Hawthorn, holly, hazel,
elderbery etc. *It needs leaving 'til its about five or six feet high
& then "laying" by bending the stems over horizontal. They might need
a nick to make tem stay down. *This gives a dense hedge that is more
security proof than barbed wire.
You don't want dogwood, not native & runs amok with suckers.

Yes, yes and yes.

Hornbeam can be VERY slow compared to the others. *I'd establish hazel
and hawthorn, and plant the Hornbeam & Holly as 'standards', rather
than including them in the laying. *Then add dog rose 10 years later
to work it's way in and out. *Blackthorn will spread and sucker all
over the place, but I do like it a lot, the blossom is fantastic, as
is the hawthorn. *Your choice.

There is no way I would plant Elderberry in a young hedge, it would
swamp its neighbours in no time.
I would be tempted to add some lonicera nitidia after around 3 years,
just stick in cuttings in the autumn, this would give some evergreen
cover for the birds in winter.
I did this to my hawthorne hedge and had around 80% take.
Why not add a couple of Bird Cherry as standards as well
David Hill