Old 19-09-2010, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge - Mixing Hornbeam and Dogwood

In message , kay
writes

harry;900740 Wrote:

You don't want dogwood, not native & runs amok with suckers.

Are you sure about that? According to Stace (accepted as the authority
on the British flora) both Dogwood, Cornus sanguinea, and the creeping
dwarf cornel, Cornus suecica, are native.

The red-stemmed White Dogweed, Cornus alba, isn't native, but from the
the fact that the OP has a lot of dogwood suggests he isn't talking
about this one.

Looking up I the distribution maps I was surprised to find that Cornus
sericea (commoner than its close relative Cornus alba) is considerably
less widespread that Cornus sanguinea, as, around here, I had the
impression that the two species were about equally common. But, as both
are used in amenity plantings it is difficult to distinguish "wild"
specimens from "cultivated" ones. Alternatively, my identification of
the species when not fruiting may not be reliable.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley