View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2010, 09:29 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by under par View Post
Thank you so much for the replies That is just the info I was after Lannerman. The only reason I was going to re pot the tree was it don't look to good and I thought re poting it would help. So from what you said I should just leave it be for now and address it in the spring with a feed and prune if needed, I doubt the prune will be necessary yet as there are not many leaves on it at present .

You mentioned suckers. Sorry new to gardening so could you explain what you mean? The tree is on a clean stem. I will upload a pic tomorrow if I get the camera working.
hi under par, when I frst saw your question, I had a suspicion that this bay was probably trained into a ball on a stem!! The suckers i mention are shoots that come from around the base of the trunk at soil level and bays are notorious for producing these. Maybe your lucky and yours doesnt have any, if so then you wont have to remove them Haaaa!! You say that it has few leaves on it and that would reinforce your comments that it has indeed been neglected so a good prune in the spring will encourage lots of new shoots. Last year, one of my clients had a similar tree with a 3-4ft wide head that, like yours had few leaves, so in March i really slaughtered it and even i was suprised how well it produced shoots, even from very hard wood, so yours should do the same. keep pinching these new shoots when they get to 6" long, the more you pinch, the better the eventual shape.
best of luck, Lannerman