Old 20-09-2010, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wintering Geraniums

On Sep 19, 6:23*am, Frank wrote:
On 9/18/2010 4:49 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

On Sep 18, 12:31 pm, *wrote:
On 9/18/2010 12:22 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

We live in the Chicago suburbs. *Last winter I put all our hanging
baskets of geraniums in a barely warm garage, anywhere from 35 degrees
up to 55 degrees. *They survived and have bloomed vigorously all this
summer hanging along the sides of our deck. *But, the plants have
become leggy and I need to do something with them. *Never had
geraniums before so my wife and I don't know what we should be doing
for this upcoming winter.

Help please.

I'm no expert but wife has been putting a couple to winter in our
utility room and I looked on-line and believe you can cut back one to
two thirds. *I did this early in the year and rooted several cuttings
and got several new plants. *Put some in pots and some in the ground and
just plan to leave them out to die, whatever, and clone new ones *in
February from what she brings in.

How did you go about rooting the cuttings?

Bob H

Rooting hormone and peat pots with potting soil kept damp.
Only did about half dozen but they all took.
Advice came from googling. *There is lots of stuff out there.- Hide quoted text -

Rooting hormone from a place like "Franks" ?