Old 20-09-2010, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Bubble wrap mini-tunnel

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Having a whole roll of the stuff in the garage I have been thinking of
trying to make a bubble wrap cover for our chillies next season to give
them that extra bit of warmth they like so that they ripen to red earlier.
Anyone any idea how it could be done?
At the moment I'm thinking a goal post like structure with the wrap over
the top secured to the ground on both sides making a sort of tent, the
ends remaining open to give some air movement.
Do you think it would work? Anyone tried it on chillies or tomatoes?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Bubble wrap is certainly a good means of keepimg the frost at bay. Provided
you have sufficient ventilation it should be OK. In another thread Sacha
mentioned that Bubble wrap might cause seating and rot - probably would if
it was applied too closely to the plants.

I wrap my water pipe to my outdoor tap during the winter and had no
problems. I don't skimp on the bubble wrap :-)

Bill