Old 20-09-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Pumpkins

Wethey
are
OK, will find out later.

We've never fleeced the pumpkins or butternuts in the past. Perhaps
we
normally just harvest earlier! I'm slightly worried by the fact
that
can't seem to remember what was 'normal' last year any more! :-(

How would bubble-wrap sheets do instead of fleece?

Bill

I'd guess that would make them sweat and rot. Fleece allows things to
'breathe'.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Quite possibly, I know bubble wrap is good to keep the frost away - as
it
does for my outside water tap. Sweat and rot - very possible.

Bill

Someone else with experience of that use will know more than I do but it
would be a shame to see yours suffer. ;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Thanks for your concern, but I'm probably the worst gardener on this NG.
planted runner beans this year and nothing germinated :-(

I was given four tomato plants which I tried to grow outdoors in pots.
Yes
I got tomatos but they fell off before I could gather them :-(

Bill

No such thing as a 'bad' or 'worst' gardener - just like us all, there are
things to learn all the time. Our tomatoes fall off in the greenhouse,
too and I suspect they get more than a bit of help from the blackbirds!
That could be what happened to yours!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Well it might have been blackbirds if so good luck to them. The plants
always looked abit sorry for themeselves so it was no surprise that success
was distant dream. I once grew tomatoes - five plants one in each bucket
in a glass conservtory. The were grown in John Innes No 3 compost (not
nowing anything different). I had a truly marvellous crop. Those facilities
are no longer available.

My real disappointment was the failure of the runner beans:-(

Bill