Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Ed

Default Removing UGF for planted tank?

Kush,

And what would build up that the plants couldn't use? I would think
that nothing would build up below an UGF plate that would not build up
in substrate.

In any case it would be easy to "flush out" the space beneath the
plate if one modified the risers to allow for that.

I know what I am saying is not conventional but I don't think it would
be that much of a problem should he decide to leave the UGF in place.

Leaving in the UGF would definitely present it's own set of problems
but I think they could easily be overcome. Almost certainly so if he
were to densly plant the tank.

If I had a choice I would remove the UFG( because of conventional
wisdom) but that may not be feasible in all circumstances.

Ed

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:30:13 GMT, "kush" wrote:

Ah. Sorry. Actually, I did address this early on. I would recommend
removing the filter plates if the risers aren't going to be pulling. I
should expect that leaving them in will eventually result in a vast cavern
of toxic crud.

kush

Ed wrote in message
.. .
I hate to barge in here...

The original question was:

I've also an Eheim 2213running on it and was wondering if it would be a

good idea to remove the UGFplate and lift tubes or simply turn it off and
leave it as it is.

I would think that turning it off and leaving it in might be a viable
option.

Doing so would make it easy to root feed that's for sure!

Regards,

Ed