Old 21-09-2010, 11:23 PM
the_new_mr the_new_mr is offline
Registered User

Default Guzmania passion plant problems - Please help

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening and taking care of plants in general really.

My mother (God rest her) used to take care of a spider plants and stuff when I was a kid but we haven't had any plants in the house since.

We recently got a Guzmania Passion Plant. Here's a pic I found on google which looks like the one we have:
http://www.valleidice.it/Guzmania.jpg

Anyway, I've been trying to look after it but it doesn't seem to be very healthy and I'm really sad about this I don't want it to die.

I did some reading on the net when we first got it and found some advice that said things like:

- Keep it in filtered sunlight (not direct sunlight)
- Always have water in the cup

And there was some also some conflicting advice from different websites about fertalizer and stuff. We eventually got some tomato fertilizer (on the advice of a guy in a garde centre) and diluted as instructed on the bottle and I've been putting it at the roots every two weeks. There was also some recommendation on using slow-release fertilizers during the winter months but I've found it hard to find these.

The bottom of the leaves went a bit dry and brown. I decided to move it to a place closer to the window so that it gets more sun.

I think it seems a bit healthier now. I can take some pictures if needed.

Please help me look after it. I don't want to let it die.