Old 22-09-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default worms and lawns

In message , ®óñ© © ²°¹°
writes
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:23:21 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts
have now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can
deter them?

I have to cut a very large lawn and there's an immense amount of
womcasts on the surface at the moment.
Funnily enough the front lawn which i scarified way back in the spring
has few cats on it but the back looks terrible with splodges of
squashed soil all over it and which are now killing the grass in patches.

Yes i know that worms are good esp3cially the ones in the compost but
just wanted to know if you have found anything that deters them from
the surface of lawns/

Janet

Not a direct answer, but there is a bowling green behind our houses, and
the greenkeeper[1] used to have a long, whippy flexible cane which he
swiped back and forth across the green to remove worm casts. It
scattered them rather than leave blotches where they had been trodden
down. Have you got a whip?

Are you sure he was removing worm casts?

The green keepers prevent these happening on bowling greens and golf
greens.

He was probably whipping the surface to remove the dew.

That did occur to me just as I posted! :-)
The green now gets the cursory visits from a contracted company,
although it is still in fair condition.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply