Old 22-09-2010, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Need Peach Recommendation

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

My winters have occasional night-time frosts but are otherwise mild. I
would like a recommendation for a peach suitable for my garden. I want
a freestone peach that is good for both eating fresh and cooking.

Peach trees are not long-lived. I just today had a 'Ventura' peach
removed because it was well past its prime and no longer grew with any
vigor; I had it some 15-20 years. Before that, I had a 'Golden Blush'
for about 15 years.

I preferred the 'Golden Blush' but could not find it when the first tree
had to be removed. 'Ventura' is okay, but I did not see it in any
nursery at the beginning of this year, when bare-root fruit trees were
available.

I tied to remember a name but failed. This site is real close and
perhaps a gander.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/planta...0/fr072710.pdf

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden