Old 22-09-2010, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default worms and lawns

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:28:22 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , pied piper
writes
1.dragbrush the lawn before cutting
2. put down lime to change the ph
3. spray a systemic fungicide at half the dose

Hmm have tried the first, the lawn is about 900 sq metres. -

!. I'm assuming dragbrush is just that, drag a brush around behind you
all over the lawn? i don't think that is particularly useful because if
you are dragging a brush the bristles aren't coming down square onto the
womcasts and therefore don't clear them particularly well.

2 We live in a very high pH area in the Chilterns so the lawn is already
very alkaline.

3. that i could do, but as most of the effective stuff has been dragged
off the market and nursery shelves would you recommend anything that is
currently available?

Janet

Interesting debate looms - everything I've read says that you should
lower the pH, not raise it, to discourage worms - aiming for a pH of
between 5 and 6. I've got my main lawn area down to that level and
rarely find a worm cast on it.

Earlier this year, another area of lawn survived through the drought
well but browned over the day after it rained and I couldn't work out
why. Having been through everything else I tested the pH and found it
a lot higher. I've been feeding it a lot and it's recovered but gets a
lot of worm activity. So I'll be treating it to reduce the pH in the
spring.

Jake