Old 23-09-2010, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Grass snakes.

On 2010-09-22 09:27:52 +0100, harry said:

On 19 Sep, 23:38, harry wrote:
We have grass snakes!http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chloroptera/?sav

ed
=1
Escaped from *heated propagator and captured making a break for it
across our living room floor!
I will release them tomorrow when it's warmed up a bit.

Update .
All the eggs have hatched. We had twenty one in total.
Surprisingly there were no failed to hatch ones.

I think that's terrific. *Your bit for wildlife. It will be interesting
to see if they remain in the garden and inhabit a compost heap or
something of that sort.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I don't suppose we'll see them again. *They are pretty good at lurking
out of sight. *We only see them if there's one swimming in the garden
pond.
They should have had chance to find a place to lurk in these last few
warm days. *I'll need to make sure there's a compost heap for them
next year.
It was a while before I realised what was happening to all our
tadpoles (suddenly disappearing.) *We have an acre of long grass &
plenty of voles, mice & shrews, I expect that's something they eat too.

Try to corral the slugs! *But if you can get a compost heap going or
even a couple of bales of straw loosened and piled up in a corner
before winter, it would help them along. *Lovely thing for you to find
and help.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Dunno if they eat slugs. How do you keep slugs in anywhere without
keeping the snakes out anyway?
There are lots of trees round our garden & leaves piled up under them,
they will lurk there I suppose.,